Give out compliments generously. There can be an awkward silence when you’re stuck in an elevator or waiting in a line with a stranger. Instead of staring at the floor, find something you like about the other person and compliment him/her on it. Not only will it make him/her feel good, it just might kick off a conversation with a new friend.
- Surprise your neighbor by telling him or her how pretty he/she looks today.
- Tell your boss how truly creative/effective he/she is – and mean it!
- Praise any subordinate who’s stayed late or done anything extra on the job honestly. Notice those things.
- Praise your child for her/his skills and good thinking. Identify something out of the blue rather than run-of-the-mill schoolwork or chores.
- Acknowledge the grocery clerk or bank teller for their helpful, quick service.
- Write a handwritten note to a friend or family member telling them how much you value your relationship with them.