Think you are not doing enough? Think again. Here is what I hear from kids in my office over and over about what they want from their parents!
- Come into my bedroom at night, tuck me in and sing me a song.
- Tell me stories about when you were little.
- Give me hugs and kisses and sit and talk with me privately.
- Spend quality time just with me, not with my brothers and sisters around.
- At dinner talk about what we could do together on the weekend.
- At night talk to me about about anything; love, school, family etc.
- Let me play outside a lot.
- Cuddle under a blanket and watch our favorite TV show together.
- Hold boundaries, (discipline me). It makes me feel like you care.
- Leave special messages in my desk or lunch bag.
More simply, your children want and need you to participate in their everyday life with your time, love, and presence. Children are incredibly wise and tend to see the world more simply than we do. Perhaps it is time we start taking their advice. Maybe we would all feel a little less stressed and be satisfied with the fact that being present in the moment often is really good enough. And so abundantly simple to do!!!
For ideas on how to spend quality time outside with your children, I recommend the book,
Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids, by Rebecca Cohen
Well Wishes, Rachel